The National Fund for Environment – FONERWA is a groundbreaking Environment and climate change Fund, established by the Rwandan Government in 2012. The Fund is the largest in its kind in Africa with the Rwanda Green Fund being its branding name.
The Fund’s purpose is to be the engine of green growth in Rwanda, while serving as a touchstone for Africa and the rest of the world. Our strategy is to provide unheralded technical and financial support to the best public and private projects that align with Rwanda’s commitment to a green economy.
The Fund’s core responsibilities are to:
- Mobilise and manage resources used in financing activities aiming at protecting and preserving environment and natural resources;
- Mobilise and manage funds to be used in the fight against climate change and its impact;
- Collect and manage funds from the public and private sector, through bilateral and multi-lateral partnerships, to achieve the country’s objectives to advance national priorities in the field of environment and climate change;
- Support public organs, associations and individuals for environment protection and conservation, research as well as the fight against the climate change;
- Coordinate and ensure that various finance partnership agreements related to prevention as well as fighting against climate change are prepared and effectively managed across various national stakeholders;
- Collaborate with other national regional and international institutions with the same mission.